Legislative Committee and Information
The Travis County Medical Alliance is very active in advocating for the family of medicine and its issues.
We participate in First Tuesdays at the Capitol when the legislature is in session.
We work in conjunction with the Travis County Medical Society to develop relationships with legislators during and between sessions.
We educate and notify our members about state and federal issues that can impact Medicine.
State Legislative Contacts:
Greg Abbott (R) 512-463-2000512-463-2000 (f) 512-463-1849
email: www.governor.state.tx.us (click “Contact,” then choose “I need assistance”)
Dan Patrick (R) (o) 512-463-0001(512) 463-0001(512) 463-0001 (f) 512-463-0677 email:
Speaker of the House of Representatives
Joe Straus (R) His office is 2W.13 in the State Capitol; P.O. Box 2910, Austin, TX 78768; 512-463-1000.
State Senators (email format: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Charles Schwertner, MD (R) – District 5 (o) 512-463-0105512-463-0105
Kirk Watson (D) – District 14 (o) 512-463-0114512-463-0114
Judith Zaffirini (D) – District 21 (o) 512-463-0121512-463-0121
Donna Campbell, MD (R) – District 25 (o) 512-463-0013512-463-0013
State Representatives(email format: email@example.com)
Marsha Farney (R) – District 20 (o) 512-463-0309512-463-0309
Jason Isaac (R) – District 45 (o) 512-463-0647512-463-0647
Dawnna Dukes (D) – District 46 (o) 512-463-0506512-463-0506
Paul Workman (R) – District 47 (o) 512-463-0652512-463-0652
Donna Howard (D) – District 48 (o) 512-463-0631512-463-0631
Elliott Naishtat (D) – District 49 (o) 512-463-0668512-463-0668
Celia Israel (D) – District 50 (o) 512-463-0821512-463-0821
Eddie Rodriguez (D) – District 51 (o) 512-463-0674512-463-0674
Larry Gonzales (R) – District 52 (o) 512-463-0670512-463-0670
Tony Dale (R) – District 136 (o) 512-463-0696512-463-0696
John Cornyn (R) (o) 202-224-2934202-224-2934 (f) 202-2282856
email: www.cornyn.senate.gov (click “Contact,” then choose “Contact Form”)
Ted Cruz (R) (o) 202-224-5922202-224-5922 (f) 202-228-0755
email: www.cruz.senate.gov (click “Contact Ted”)
Michael McCaul (R) District 10 (o) 202-225-2401202-225-2401 (f) 202-225-5955 email: www.mccaul.house.gov (click “Contact Us,” then scroll to bottom of page)
Lamar Smith (R) – District 21 (o) 202-225-4236 (f) 202-225-8628 email: www.lamarsmith.house.gov (click “Contact Lamar”)
John Carter (R) – District 31 (o) 202-225-3864 (f) 202-225-5886
email: www.carter.house.gov (click “Email John)
Lloyd Doggett (D) – District 35 (o) 202-225-4865 (f) 202-225-3073 email: www.doggett.house.gov (click “Contact Lloyd,” then “Write to Congressman”
Guidelines for Effective Communications with Elected Officials
1. Personal visits and individual letters mailed to elected officials are usually the most effective means to communicate. However, when time is of the essence, and you wish to get a message to the official quickly, you can email or phone the office.
2. Make your letter one page or less, and include your return address and phone number.
3. Identify your subject matter and try to limit your correspondence to one issue at a time.
4. Keep your tone respectful and non-argumentative.
5. Please try to visit local legislators at least once during the session and to write at least one letter to your elected officials regarding issues most important to you and your medical family.
6. Be sure to write a thank you note after you have corresponded with a legislator and/or his staff person. And, keep in mind that staff persons should receive the same respect you would show the elected official.
If you do not know who represents you locally, see www.house.state.tx.us and click on “How do I find out who represents me?” If you do not know who represents you in Washington, go to www.house.gov and type in your zip code.
See www.texmed.org for the most current information regarding TMA’s positions on public policy measures affecting Medicine.